Saturday, September 12, 2009

Home Sweet Home

I arrived in Cochabamba at about 9 this morning after a long night of traveling. I am really, really glad to finally be here! It is kind of surreal. Jennifer, the founder/director of Casa de Amor, picked me up at the airport along with three toddlers in tow. It was an entertaining ride home, to say the least. Jennifer is originally from Texas, and she's the only person I've been able to speak any English with...I cannot say how glad I am that I have a translator right now!
I'm living in the first of three children's homes through Casa de Amor, and they call this the Baby Home. Kids here are mostly 3 and under...there actually may be some 4 and 5 year olds who live here, but I can't tell who lives where yet! I have been introduced to so many kiddos that I can hardly keep anyone straight...especially these two:

Identical twin boys...with identical names! Luckily, the people here have started calling them by their middle names. :)

Here are some pictures of where I'll be living this year:




My room
Right now, I have one roommate, but I haven't gotten to meet her yet!






Today the first thing that we did after getting in was have a birthday fiesta for a 1-year old. It was wild...
We had clowns...



dancers...



a pinata (grandmother, i know you wish you were here for that)


some spanish version of the hokey pokey...


and lots and lots of blue jello!


Big jello fan right here:


Double Trouble...a second pair of twins. This guy had a blast going from table to table stealing other kids cake and making them cry!


Caught in the act...


The Birthday Boy!

What's really special is that the lady holding him is a staff member at Casa de Amor. All of the kids call the staff members "Tia," (aunt.) This Tia is actually in the process of trying to adopt this little guy - it was a great celebration.
And speaking of birthdays,
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MAMA!!!
I am 100% positive that you will read this today - love & miss you lots! Hope you have half as much fun as the birthday boy here did!

Sorry for such a long post - I am just excited to be here. Nap time just ended so I'm off to help change babies...woo cloth diapers!

I'll end with this for the day:

potty chair line-up with a view...ha!

Adios Amigos!

6 comments:

  1. WAHOOOOOO you made it! im so glad you posted because ive been wondering all day if you were there or not.. looks like you've already had a busy busy day. cant wait to hear more about it all! es dificil leer ingles? adios amiga!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hola Savannah,

    What great fun to keep up w/ your activities. No surprise to me that you hit the ground running and are loving every minute of it. You will be speaking nothing but spanish in a matter of days. You will know you are fully immersed when you realize you dream in spanish. we love you and are praying for God's blessings on you as you live out His call on your life. XXOO
    Patricia Heim

    ReplyDelete
  3. YEAH!!! Sav - so glad you had a safe trip! All I can say is WOW! This is going to be an amazing experience for you! Those babies are so sweet. Do you think you can bring one home for me?? We love you so much! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea!!! I'm so excited you're going to keep a blog!

    Now I have lots of comments and some questions... You said they started calling one of the twins by his middle name? Aren't they calling both of them by their middle names? I'm confused. We started calling them by their middle names when they first came are they deciding to call one of them Luis now? Oh and once you get to know them you'll be able to tell them apart easy, but for now A has a little red mark on his chin :) (And P is MINE...give him a kiss from his Mama Denise!)

    And boy twin E is mine too (well both Es are mine!) and I'm actually surprised she wasn't stealing people's cake too!

    Kiss my babies for me y aprenda español rápido!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Savannah!

    Ill most probably be meeting you in late December :) yay!

    My friend Ruth and I (are from New Zealand)volunteered at Casa in 2007 :) I think i emailed you earlier in the year about our experiences?

    Take care chica,
    Katrina :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey new housemate! Cute pics! Quite the first day, huh? If you were worn out from your trip here, you certainly didn't show it! The staff noticed your servant's spirit and was impressed.

    Gracias, y bienvenida!!!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.